Tuesday, November 16, 2010

NOVEMBER 13: CAST THEM OUT.

The noise was becoming unbearable. I closed the book I was reading and sauntered towards the adjourning room to open the rovers. The crowd I saw at the veranda as I peered through the window pane baffled me. What is going on? I looked around to know if I can see anything that is exciting such number of youths gathered just in front of the house, leaning on my door, window sides and all the available space. That is one benefit of leaving in a strategic area, a happening area of the town, a place of no dulling. I prayed at that moment that mystique walls and gate would appear and bar this nuisance. I carved for a wand to mute and pause the quarrelling youths so that I can meet up for the lost time for my study.
“Aunty, what is going on?” I asked my neighbor who owns a shop at the front yard. “We are waiting for our governor,” she said enthusiastically grinning from ear to ear. I have not seen the governor at such grass root occasion, I was happy that the governor will be making a visit at the grass root. The CPC-Congress for Progressive Change themed campaign song started playing.
“Is CPC welcoming the governor?” I asked in awe.
“No he is our candidate for 2011 election, that is the governor”, aunty explained. I sighed. Aunty stressed that the governorship candidate is coming back from Italy through Yola airport. The crowd is preparing to organize an entourage that will give him a befitting welcome. And in synonymous with politics of the town money is involved. I saw little children rushed in speed grabbing the cloth of a supposedly party official, judging from his busy steps, the way he gives others and how everyone tried to get his attention. The children are more forward with their own attention seeking. He opened his wallet gave them an amount I cannot identify. The children ran immediately to aunty shop shouting I na son sia biskit I want to buy biscuit. I entered my room as the training in endurance continued.

No comments:

Post a Comment